What is the role of a Physical Therapist? Physical Therapists help patients affected by injury, illness, disability or dysfunction through movement and exercise, manual therapy, education and advice. All in all, Physical Therapists improve the way you move! There are no age restrictions regarding who can receive Physical Therapy treatment and there are a plethora of benefits that a patient may receive for:
- Neurological (stroke, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s)
- Neuromusculoskeletal (back pain, whiplash, sports injuries, arthritis)
- Cardiovascular (chronic heart disease, rehabilitation after heart attack)
- Respiratory (asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis)
Why should you choose Physical Therapy as a direct treatment?
Relying on medicines and surgery for curing ailments can be expensive, worrisome and detrimental to your overall health. From receiving Physical Therapy treatment first, you will find an improvement in:
- Increased muscle strength, flexibility and stabilization
- Improved coordination
- Decreased pain and Drug Dependency
- Reduced swelling and inflammation in joints
- Optimization in performance (work, sports and recreational activities)
What will you expect from a Physical Therapy session? The initial evaluation will begin with a licensed Physical Therapist assessing the nature and extent of a patient’s problems. The patient may be asked perform given exercises so that the physical therapist can identify the issues of mobility and work out a suitable treatment plan. In the same session, the Physical Therapist will also ask questions relating the patient’s general health in order to identify any pre-existing conditions. At ProActive Physical Therapy, we have a unique approach to diagnosing injuries, looking holistically at how to treat the body as a whole, rather than segmentally.
Depending on the nature of the patient’s condition, sessions may include soft-tissue mobilization, stretching and strengthening, ultrasound, electrical stimulation and joint mobilization. All of our licensed Physical Therapists have extensive manual therapy training and have a “hands-on” approach to physical therapy in conjunction with an individualized prescribed home therapeutic exercise program.
Why visit a Physical Therapist first?
California law allows consumers direct access to physical therapists. Direct Access is your ability to be evaluated and treated by a licensed Physical Therapist without first seeing your physician for a referral.
Benefits of Direct Access:
- Quicker access to the treatment you need and deserve.
- While each patient case is different, clinical research shows that Direct Access should:
- Result in fewer overall treatment sessions.
- Save you time and money.
- Immediate high-quality care
It’s simple! Gain your freedom back, and get back to the activities you love.Take the leap, and seek Physical Therapy first! Your body will thank you. Allow Physical Therapy to be your new pathway to recovery!